A nutritionist is a health specialist that works professionally with food and nutritional science, covering aspects like nutrient-related diseases and deficiencies and preventive nutrition. They also work on nutrient manipulation that helps enhance clinical responses to human diseases. Nutritionists also advise people on dietary matters, with regards to optimal nutrition and overall physical well-being.
Many individuals call themselves qualified nutritionists, but there are some who aren’t really very credible and efficient when doing their job. You must know how to find the right one, so you’ll always be sure to get sound and reliable advice. Here are tips on how to find a nutritionist.
Factors To Consider
* Educational Attainment – Like other health and science related careers, nutritionists must also go through a rigorous and comprehensive educational training, to provide ample service to their clients. Ideally, a good nutritionist must either have a doctorate degree (PhD) or be a registered dietician (RD). His or her education must come from a school of higher learning, recognized and accredited for its nutrition program.
* Licensing – In some states, there is a law that says Nutritionist must be licensed before they are allowed to practice health care. Find out if that law exists in your location, and if license is required, check your state licensing agency whether your potential nutritionist is registered.
* Basis For Recommendations – All the advise and diet plans your nutritionist gives must be based on something credible or factual. Usually, nutritionists base their recommendations on the latest dietary guidelines given by the federal government. Published guidelines given for a specific illness should also be used by him or her as a basis. Some nutritionists also base their advice on a study. To make sure you’re getting the right recommendations, ask for a copy of the study.
* Experience – Check out how long the nutritionist has been in service. Veteran nutritionists, especially those with a large number of clients, are surely reliable. Find out if he or she has already worked with people with the same condition as you. What approach did he or she use, and what are the results derived?
* How The Nutritionist Works – Nutritionists have different methods when dealing with their clients. There are, however, a few common tactics reliable ones turn to, such as, asking the client to keep a diary of his or her eating experience, asking questions on medical history, current condition, eating habits and lifestyle, providing moral support and creating an individual diet plan.
* References – A good way to prove your nutritionist’s credibility and efficiency is by asking for references. Ask him or her for information regarding clients and patients he or she has helped. This is also a great way to “test” your nutritionist. If he or she is willing to provide you with contact details of the clients, then he or she trusts in the good commendation they will give. If he or she refuses to hand out contact information, then you should have second thoughts.
* Miracle Cures – Remember, no reputable nutritionist should ever offer a miracle cure for any kind of health condition.
* Product-Selling – There are nutritionists who sell products along with the health services they give. This is perfectly legal, but remember that you shouldn’t be forced to buy them. The nutritionist must take in consideration the potential conflict of interest.
* Fees – Efficient nutritionists charge reasonable fees for their service. Your health care budget must fit the fees they set. If you think the nutritionist’s rates are a bit off, do some comparison shopping, and check the standard rate.
* Comfort – Take in consideration the personality and openness of the nutritionist. He or she must be able to get along with you, and always give you adequate information. When discussing important matters with you, he or she must be calm and composed.
Getting good health begins with a good nutritionist. Always keep these tips when searching for the right one. If you maintain a harmonious relationship together, you’ll have years of great help to look forward to.